Sunday, November 22, 2015

Here's something I don't get

And like a great many things, I'm sure this is just an "age" thing, 'cause I'm old and stuff, but I saw this pic of Madonna's daughter Lourdes Leon out and about the other day and something caught my eye:

lourdes leon nose ring

And no, I'm not talking about those eyebrows that practically have a life of their own. But her nose ring.

In truth, I find the overdoing of tattoos and piercings on the younger generations to be a bit off-putting in general. But I've come to appreciate the artwork of some of the ink being done and some of the jewelry kids adorn themselves with isn't completely horrible.

But of all the questionable (to me) piercings, I don't get the ring through the nose. There's a cultural significance to that, and it isn't good. It conjures up the notions of chattel . . . slavery . . . involuntary submission . . . subjugation . . . all things I would think a young, supposedly independent, feminist-type woman of today would find abhorrent and would seek to distance herself from.

And yet I see more and more young ladies with a ring through their nose. Maybe they're trying to re-appropriate negative imagery, and if so, more power to them. But to me, the right way to do this is just let it die out and disappear into the dust bin of history.

But like I said, I'm just an old man. Maybe I just don't get it.

No comments: